Google Chrome Shockwave Crash

By nick | Tech Support
14 Mar 2011
Chrome Plugin Crash

Chrome plugin crash when playing flash video

Since upgrading to the latest version of Google Chrome this week, my Internet experience has been plagued with shockwave crash messages.  After reading many of my previous posts you can see I don’t like flash and this certainly isn’t helping!

Here’s how I fixed the constant “Google Chrome Shockwave Crash” error/plugin message on an Ubuntu 10.10 x64 system.

Linux

First you’ll want to download the latest version of flash (at the time of writing this: flashplayer10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz

cd /opt/google/chrome

mkdir plugins

cd plugins

wget http://www.elfnet.org/files/flashplayer10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz

tar zxf flashplayer10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz

Now after closing down all instances of Google Chrome and restarting it your problems should be fixed, it worked for me.

Windows:

Head over to the Adobe Flash site and upgrade to the newest version.

Make sure to leave a comment letting me know if this helped you!

2. Click on the ‘+Details’ tag in the top right corner.
  3. Find the flash plug-ins section (was at the top in my list).
  5. Restart the browser.1. Type ‘about:plugins’ in the address bar to bring up a list of plug-ins (or get there via the spanner key at top right of Chrome, then ‘Options’, ‘Under the Hood’, ‘Content Settings’, ‘Disable Individual Plug-Ins’).2. Click on the ‘+Details’ tag in the top right corner.3. Find the flash plug-ins section (was at the top in my list).4. If you have 2 flash plug-ins listed, disable the one that DOESN’T have ‘gcswf32.dll’ at the end of its location.5. Restart the browser.

* Update for Windows

14 Comments

1. Wanda says:

your right this will temporarily fix it, but will happen again and again, all since I upgraded the newest version of Adobe Flash. Really is a pain in the next. Any other options would be grateful; Wanda

2. Alison says:

Windows XP. I have tried updating to latest Goole Chrome and also latest version of Shockwave. It still crashes all the time. I have started to use Windows Explorer as it drives me mad crashing all the time!!

3. Stronsy says:

I have Windows 7 and using Chrome and have had issues with Shockwave crashing this week.
    I’ve read tbe blurb and despite Google Chrome supposeedly uploading the latest version I still have problem.
    Each time it seems to allow one successful display of whatever imagery from a news website, own image file source etc. then crashes again – which doesn’t ‘cure itself’ when rebooting.
    Google are aware of this so where’s their fix?
    The search for a fix continues…

4. Dipan says:

Try this:

2. Click on the ‘+Details’ tag in the top right corner.
    3. Find the flash plug-ins section (was at the top in my list).
    5. Restart the browser.

Original reference: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086

5. Jonny says:

Followed ‘about:plugins’ instructions and everything seems fine so far, great stuff!

6. KEVINKIMMY says:

my google chrome started to crash after 2 days from whear i downloade cheat engin and wpe pro is that the cause of it i hack games alot and now i can get my google cheome to work fine but whan i shut it down and put it back on the sites that are open get crased and it would not happen befor

7. john dudley says:

this still does not fix this for me..i removed the extra plugin but still crashes

8. B says:

Tried this just the way you described it.. disabled the one that did not end in ‘gcswf32.dl .. that didn’t work for me.. so I tried reversing it.. and disabled the one that ended in ‘gcswf32.dl, that seems to work for me..
    Thanks for the help…

9. Garey says:

Simple fix…most of us are probably having the same problem, got to about:plugins, and ensure you are not running two versions at the same time…. simple disable/ uninstall the older version and away you go .

10. I was having this problem and terribly frustrated. Here’s what I did (suggestion here didn’t work).

1. Went to programs in control panel and uninstalled Adobe Shockwave Flash player.

2. Went to about:plugins, +details on upper right corner of browser.

3. Find Shockwave plugin in list

4. Find location of file named gcswf32.dl in the Chrome installation directories.

5. Deleted that file from the Chrome directory.

6. When I re-opened chrome and went to a site that needed Shockwave flash, accepted the “Do you want to download the plug-in” and now everything seems to be working.

It seems like Chrome is not automatically updating that plug-in file, as the file was way behind the current Shockwave release.

11. Jim says:

I have 12 Plug-ins listed….Now i’m confused!

12. actually says:

Hi and thanks for a awesome article. I honestly like your blogging and thought that I might let you know! :D Cheers!!